Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Butternut Squash - Feels Like Fall

Every once in a while I make something that tastes so good, I shock myself (which in turn forces me brag to the people around me about what a great cook I am). This is one of those times.

Partly due to my zealous aversion to food waste, most of my recipes are the direct result of a mad dash to eat fresh produce about to turn. So per my usual, I had a butternut squash that I was afraid was on the brink of going bad. At about 7:30pm, I decided to embark on a rather ambitious, time consuming dinner for a weeknight.
I decided to roast the squash with salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red chili pepper flakes, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. The squash cooked for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees until it got nice and browned (I cropped this picture so you couldn't see my dirty oven - thank you photoshop).
The rest of this recipe was just stuff I had laying around: brown rice, vegetable stock, frozen collard greens, walnuts. I brought 2 and a half cups of vegetable stock and 1 cup of brown rice to a boil and then let it simmer for about an hour. After about 45 minutes, I defrosted the collard greens in the microwave and dry toasted the walnuts in a separate pan. Once the rice was cooked, I stirred in the collard greens, as well as some salt, pepper, and butter, and added the cooked butternut squash.

I finished by topping the butternut brown rice pilaf (I don't actually know what a pilaf is - does this count?) with more parmesan cheese and the toasted walnuts.


To me, this was a near-perfect fall dish. Well worth the time spent waiting for the rice to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment