Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mirepoix - did you know that was a word?


I didn't. I just Googled it and learned something new. I'm into making soups lately, and I'm finding that there are about a million different kinds of vegetarian soups that you can make that are delicious (see the Black Bean Soup recipe below). The reason I bring this up is that many of these soup recipes begin with onion, celery, and carrot sauteed in butter or oil. From what I've just learned via Google, this "holy trinity" is a french concoction referred to as a mirepoix, and is the base for many soups and stews. Although I didn't know the word for it, I did know that this simple combination of flavors is a wonderful basis for most vegetarian soups that you care to dream up. Try throwing some winter vegetables and store-bought broth into a pot with a "mirepoix" (sounds so fancy!), and you'll have easy home-made vegetable soup.




3 comments:

  1. Hmm... that DOES sound delicious and easy... what's the catch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your guess is as good as mine. Try saying it with a French accent :)

    ReplyDelete