Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vegetarian Pasta Carbonara

I know this may sound a little weird, since bacon is one of the main ingredients in pasta carbonara. But I was making it for Ace last week to use up some pancetta I had in my refrigerator, so I decided to try to make a vegetarian version for myself using veggie bacon. It was awesome! I was pleasantly surprised to find that the veggie bacon added enough of a salty, smoky flavor that it really tasted similar to traditional carbonara. I also added onions, which I don't believe are traditional in this recipe, but added a nice extra layer of flavor. This is still a pretty unhealthy meal, but taking out all the bacon fat has to help, right?




Olive Oil - 3 turns around the pan
Butter - a generous pat, maybe a tablespoon
Spaghetti - 1 pound, cooked to al dente
Yellow or White Onion - 1/4, diced
Garlic - 1 or 2 cloves, chopped
Veggie Bacon - 6 strips, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used MorningStar brand)
Parmesan Cheese - Grated, a handful
Parsley - chopped, a small handful
Eggs - 2, beaten
Crushed Red Pepper
Salt and Pepper


Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, saute 2 to 3 minutes more. Add veggie bacon, saute until cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add pasta, toss to coat with bacon, onions, garlic, and oil. Add eggs, toss until pasta is coated, being careful not to let eggs scramble. Add cheese, red pepper, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss and serve. Serves 4.


Note - Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that leftovers don't reheat well. The eggs make them kind of chewy. You'll be better off just stuffing yourself the night you make it and eating it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment