Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Five Ingredient Dinner – Baby Broccolini and Butternut Squash with Quinoa

3 cloves garlic
½ red onion
½ lb baby broccolini
½ cup quinoa
1 handful cubed, frozen butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)


First, I chopped garlic and cut red onion into chunks. I put a pot of water on the stove to boil (high heat) while I washed and trimmed the ends off the broccolini. When the water came to a boil, I salted it and dropped in the broccolini. I let the broccolini cook for 5 minutes, drained, and placed in a bowl of ice water to cool off quickly.


In the same pot I just drained (and rinsed out), I added a cup of water to bring back to a boil. Once it came to a boil, I added ½ cup of quinoa. I put the lid back on and reduced to simmer, letting the quinoa cook 10-12 minutes until all liquid was absorbed.


While quinoa cooked, I put olive oil in a sautee pan and added chopped onions and garlic. These cooked 4-5 minutes until softened, then I added cooked, cooled broccolini and defrosted, cubed butternut squash (to defrost the squash, I just microwaved for a minute). Make sure to dry excess water off broccolini or the oil might splatter. I stirred all the vegetables together, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
















To put it together, I topped the cooked quinoa with the veggie mixture.
(Serves one hungry girl - if you have a more petite appetite, you might have leftovers)

No comments:

Post a Comment